Director of Programs | Oxfam Novib
Oxfam Novib is looking for a Director of Programs to make systemic change happen (36 hours a week).
Oxfam Novib is part of a global movement of people with the shared mission for a just and sustainable world. We stand in solidarity with courageous activists demanding radical change: from tackling injustice in trade and tax systems, and demanding ambitious and fair climate policies, to championing equal rights for all. Oxfam Novib brings people, businesses and governments together and challenges them to realize change. All over the world and in the Netherlands.
Oxfam Novib is an organization with a strong constituency of Dutch supporters and more than 60 years of experience in international cooperation. We are part of the Oxfam confederation that is active in 90 countries to bring a strong and united voice to the world stage. Together with our colleagues, partners and local communities, we work on systemic change and concrete results for people.
The Director of Programs leads the Programs department that is committed to supporting partners and movements all over the world in their fight for their equal rights and opportunities, and against systemic injustices. The department currently consists of 9 units and ± 100 staff. It is geared to achieve impact at scale on four key goals: an inclusive (Equal) world, a secure (Safe) world, a sustainable (Green) world and equitable (Fair) world.
The department is tasked with working on these impact goals based on a new approach that focuses on broadening equal partnerships, supporting activism, innovation of programs and achieving qualitative and measurable impact. The current program portfolio is strong and diverse and is being implemented in ± 25 countries, together with other Oxfam offices and a variety of partner organizations and local communities. The Program Department leads on developing and realizing ambitious programs aimed at influencing national (including in the Netherlands) and global debates.
The Director of Programs is part of Oxfam Novib's collegial Board of Directors. The Board of Directors further consists of the Executive Director, Director of Engagement and Director of Finance & Operations. All directors are accountable to the Board of Supervisors, which acts as the formal employer.
As Director of Programs, you shape and manage the Programs department, oversee the implementation of current programs and guide the transformation towards above mentioned new priorities and approaches. You do this together with 9 unit managers and teams, while ensuring close cooperation with the other departments. You are also responsible for maintaining strategic external relationships, including engaging with major programmatic donors.
As a member of the Board of Directors, you have final responsibility for the organization. This means that you steer the development of strategies, policies, budgets and a safe and inclusive organizational culture, based on Oxfam Novib's mission and core values.
Who are we looking for?
- You are a strategic thinker, convener and do-er, who endorses and promotes Oxfam Novib's mission and impact goals and is able to motivate teams towards reaching a shared vision;
- You have excellent communication and coaching skills and are able to facilitate diverse, transparent and inclusive processes across teams; you feel responsible for creating a safe and inspiring work environment;
- You have an inclusive and feminist leadership style and, given the importance of equality in partnerships between the ‘Global South’ and 'Global North’, you are able to reflect on your own perspective (‘positionality’) and that of others, and bring the different perspectives to the table;
- You are a team player in the Board of Directors and a driver in promoting coherence between the different departments at Oxfam Novib;
- You are a networker, able to establish and build relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, amongst others: rightsholders, politicians, local civil society organizations, social movements and institutional donors;
- You closely follow current developments and innovations in international cooperation and in global socio-economic and political dynamics;
- You have proven senior management experience in the field of international programs and/or campaigns; with specific knowledge of and experience in topics including gender and intersectionality, social and economic inequality, human rights and civic space, climate change and food systems, conflict resolutions and humanitarian crises;
- You have profound knowledge of civil society dynamics, especially in Africa and Asia, and have relevant working experience in these continents;
- You have proven experience in institutional fundraising and are able to be the figure head for Oxfam Novib in this towards donors;
- You are familiar with the complexities associated with collaborating in a large international organization and/or (inter)national partnerships.
- You are fluent in English (both oral and written) and preferably in Dutch. Good command of French or another relevant language is an asset.
What do we offer?
Oxfam Novib is determined to offer you a motivating workplace. We believe that people flourish in a working environment where the values of equality, empowerment, solidarity, inclusiveness, accountability and courage are central.
Oxfam Novib offers a competitive and fair employment package, which we can justify to our donors. The salary of director positions within Oxfam Novib is based on the guidelines of Goede Doelen Nederland. The gross salary for this full-time position is appropriate to the severity of the position. Directors are appointed first for a term of four years, which then can be extended twice.
Oxfam Novib is assisted in this procedure by executive search agency Colourful People. For more information about Oxfam Novib, the position or the procedure, please contact Rick Verhoeven, senior partner at Colourful People (06 267 067 57). You can express your interest by uploading your letter and CV via the 'Solliciteer' button on our website no later than 18 June 2021.
Diversity and inclusion are important core values for Oxfam Novib. Also in our own organization we start from the power of difference. We particularly encourage women and people originating from the ‘Global South’ to apply. Interviews with Oxfam Novib's selection committee are scheduled in the week of July 5, 2021.
- Vacatures via Colourful People